Tonights blog post is going to be fairly short, like my fuse today. I was slated to run 8km tonight, but there was no way that was going to happen for a few reasons: (1) some Calgarians apparently don’t think the “clean your own sidewalk” bylaw applies to them, (2) black ice, (3) slush/snow, (4) wet socks and (5) my lungs felt like they were going to collapse.
(1) FYI: Who is responsible for clearing snow and ice from Calgary sidewalks? Under Street Bylaw 20M88, the owner or occupant of any private property adjacent to a sidewalk is deemed responsible for the removal of ice and snow from that portion of the sidewalk within 24 hours after the ice or snow has been deposited. So please, fellow neighbours, don’t be lazy! It’s fine and dandy for someone who has the ability to jump into the snowbank to avoid the mess on your part of the sidewalk, but for others with less mobility (e.g.: seniors using scooters, wheelchairs, walkers, canes WHATEVER!) cannot do the same. Be courteous!
(2) There was black ice under loose, wet snow. I almost fell at least once every 100m or so. It was awful.
(3) Slush/snow was a fricking disaster – it was everywhere! There was hardly any bare sidewalk, except for about 400 m near the end of my run. Lot of help that was! I was soaked within the first few minutes of my run. This is what happens when you get hammered with snow (30 cm) and the temperature stays at -17 for a few days and then warms up to +12 in one day! It makes for a complete mess. I feel for anyone who had to walk/roll to work today.
(4) Do I really need to explain why wet socks are annoying?
(5) And despite the temperature being well above zero and relatively “easier” to breathe, I was having some issues as I’m still kind of congested from my bout with Flu last week.
I refuse to run in this slop, so it looks like I am heading for the DREADmill tomorrow. Gah.
- Distance: 6.1 km (RunKeeper stopped after the first 300m and started again)
- Time: 40:29 (plus 1:30?)
- Pace: 6:57
- Best Pace: 4:47